Monday, March 14, 2011

personal finance budgeting

This post is from staff writer April Dykman.


As many of you know, before I was a GRS staff writer, I was a GRS reader and active commenter. I’d say the bulk of my early personal-finance education came from this website, and it’s most definitely the resource I credit for spurring me to get serious about paying off debt and saving money.


So last year when J.D. started talking about falling off the tracking-every-penny wagon, I winced. I haven’t been tracking my spending, either. Ever since our income went up last year, I’ve been satisfied that we’re saving enough — more than 55% of our income. We have no debt, we have targeted accounts for irregular expenses, and we pay our credit card bill in full every month. We’re definitely doing well, but the more J.D. wrote about getting back to basics, the more I started to think that my reasoning was just a cop-out. He’s always a few steps ahead of me, it seems!


Tracking for peace of mind

Like J.D., I don’t like the “financial black box” of not knowing where our money is going. Did we spend more on groceries than usual this month? Approximately how much are we spending on gas? I have no idea!


I don’t need to account for every penny, but I’d like a general idea of how we’re doing. It’s too easy to dismiss expenses because we’re doing relatively well with our savings, or because we forgo a lot of extras like cable TV and eating out regularly.


Also, it’s less fun to spend money when I don’t track it. I believe that money is a tool, and that some of it should be saved for the future and some of it should be enjoyed now. But when I’m not exactly sure how much “fun money” we’ve been spending, it’s harder to enjoy spending it. Last week, for example, I made a couple of purchases and felt a little buyer’s remorse, but only because I worried that I was forgetting about other expenses. If I knew we’d allotted, say, $200 to freely spend, and I was within that limit, I wouldn’t have given the purchase a second thought. I could have just enjoyed it.


Past tracking attempts

I’ve tried more than once to stay on the money-tracking bandwagon. I tried Quicken, but it did so much more than I needed it to do and categorizing each expense and reconciling accounts got tedious (maybe the newer versions are more user-friendly?).


I tried Mint, but some accounts wouldn’t update, and there were major glitches that threw off my numbers in a big way. For example, my “personal items” category, which is under $50 each month, mysteriously showed more than $400, but when I tried to view the itemized expenses, the system would time out. When I added it up by hand, it was nowhere near $400. I contacted customer service, but after weeks of waiting, there was no fix and no help, so I quit using Mint. I tried again several months later, but one of my accounts updated so rarely that, again, it wasn’t worthwhile.


I feel like I’ve spent far too much time downloading, uploading, troubleshooting, and e-mailing customer service reps. Tracking my money does not need to be this complicated (though I thought using technology would simplify the process). No wonder I keep dropping the habit — it’s been tedious and time-consuming!


Keeping it simple

Starting February 1st, I decided I’d track my expenses again, but this time, I’m keeping it simple. No software, no web, no syncing — just a small notebook tucked in my bag. In it, I have a page dedicated to each spending category (groceries, gas, bills, etc.) and on each page I record the following information about each purchase:



  • Date

  • What I bought

  • Cash, check, debit card, or credit card

  • Running total for the month


I plan to keep the spending categories broad, since all I’m after is a general idea of where our money is going, and since a complicated system doesn’t seem to work for me in the long-term. I think that’s the key: Experiment until you find a system that works for you. That’s the only way you’ll stick to it. I quit when I got tired of uploads and downloads or when I encountered a glitch. But finding the right system takes trial and error, and I gave up too soon on something as important as tracking my spending.


I’m feeling good about the new plan, and I’ll report back after trying it out for awhile. Until then, what different methods have you used to track your expenses? What systems did you drop, which have you maintained, and why? And, more to the point, do you have any tips for low-tech expense tracking like I’ve been trying to do?








Surface Encounters proudly guarantees purchaser satisfaction and price putting in granite assurance. “I’m generally skeptical going with new providers, but your workers has developed me a believer!” - Steve, Indianapolis

Surface Encounters is often a fast-growing surface encounters provider and, yet still they have stored tempo with every one of the current buyer referrals. “This business is among the most reasonable, reputable and friendly organisations inside entire state. I'd encourage them to people.” - Mike R., South Bend

A considerable amount of deliver the results goes into setting up wonderful countertops from nature. The process features laser measurement creative vein matching, precision diamond and water-jet cutting, edging and experienced installation. 1 won't be able to just contact within their buy to get a customized countertop and have it within just per day or two. Level of quality normally takes time.

Surface Encounters encourages persons to go to a showroom to learn further about pure stone countertops. Apart from the choice and fabrication procedure, some other fundamental piece of buyer treatment is making sure one particular appreciates how to care for their granite countertop to help keep it hunting new for a long time to come.

Granite is definitely a stunning all natural stone product that is a preferred content employed for countertops and floor tiles in kitchens and bathrooms. Granite has surpassed marble in popularity considering is it even more resilient and easier to treatment for. Granite is unmatched by artificial products and solutions for its strength and sturdiness, tolerance to temperature changes and resistance to stains and scratches.

Granite may be a effortlessly shaped stone that's quarried from deep within the earth, harvested, cut, polished, sealed and put in in properties to add beauty, elegance and model. Due to the fact it is a purely natural solution, no two slabs are particularly alike. Granite is available in quite a few colours through the a number of minerals which can be observed within the rock. Due to the fact it arrives from all over the entire world, several regions and environmental components make it unique.

Granite is predominantly made up of quartz crystal, however it also comprises a number of quantities of other metals this includes feldspar, mica, copper and iron. Some granite might possibly contain bits of gold or silver. The amount of each metal is dependent about the region it comes from. All granite is shaped right into a very difficult stone by heat and stress. Rain adds other minerals because it is forming. It can be available throughout the world, in any region, and each and every region will provide a surface encounters special selection of granite.

Surface Encounters state-of-the-art machinery assures the greatest top quality finished item as they design and style and design several of the very best kitchens and bathrooms. Granite Countertops boost the warmth and splendor of houses whilst rising their worth and increasing lifestyles.

Surface Encounters is additionally worried with worker morale; thrilled personnel are much more probably to contribute on the good results of a organization. Moreover to staying a triumphant enterprise and an individual that is definitely amazing to perform for, Surface Encounters does their portion to preserve our planet.

Surface Encounters does what's best for his or her clients, personnel in addition to the natural environment. Surface Encounters utilizes state-of-the-art water recycling capabilities to recycle up to 43,000 gallons of water every day. In addition, a hundred % in the scrap produced in building tasteful kitchens and beautiful baths is re-used as aggregate in street generating, surface preparations and concrete.

The Columbus, Ohio Grand Opening of Surface Encounters capabilities an art gallery showroom of Granite, Marble, Quartz and Engineered Stone counter tops. Retailer Supervisor, Scott Donnelly unlocked the doorways of the showroom at 4717 Roberts Road, just west on the I-270 Beltway. The Surface Encounters production method makes use of precision, automated solutions during the fabrication of the customer's customized counter major, such as: a laser measuring alignment that programs the diamond-tipped sculpturing blades. Surface Encounters' system involves computer-driven software program that perpetuates the stone's purely natural veins. All Surface Encounter store has at least a person registered, interior designer to help you in making the completed project that you're wanting for. The craftsmanship continues with the

Property owners are determining to remodel instead than offer their homes in today’s industry
Granite countertops have grown to be a prime alternative amid Wixom people for kitchen remodeling projects. Kitchen remodeling is usually the 1st task tackled with families shelling out 3,000 hours or even more annually within their kitchen. Granite countertops present an surroundings that enhances the top quality time invested with spouse and children and close friends. Granite countertops final a lifetime and boost the top quality of houses.

Surface Encounters Wixom shop manager, Sal Dellacasa, says there are lots of motives customers are looking for granite for their countertop desires. “Granite countertops add beauty and elegance to a kitchen. Granite is offered inside a number of vibrant hues and loaded textures and its strength and sturdiness is unmatched by any other normal stone or synthetic countertop content.”

Surface Encounters’ clientele take pleasure in qualified service as well as a pleasant, practical employees to guideline them through the kitchen remodeling technique. Several of Surface Encounters new customers are referred to them by former users.
"This service is among the most economical, reputable, and friendly organizations in the complete state. I would suggest them to everyone." Mike R. Clinton Twp., MI

"The service has constantly been there to help me in what ever way plausible. Thank you so much!" David V. Lapeer, MI


Surface Encounters Macomb may be the residential home of half-off granite for kitchen and bathroom countertops. Granite countertops by Surface Encounters have swiftly turned into the top preference for Macomb residents who're remodeling their kitchens. Kitchen remodeling usually requires priority with families shelling out 3,000 hours or more per year within their kitchen. Granite countertops deliver an setting that enhances the level of quality time invested with relatives and associates and enrich the high-quality of residences.

Surface Encounters Macomb keep supervisor, Sal Dellacasa, says there are numerous factors individuals are choosing granite for his or her countertop needs. “Granite countertops add elegance and elegance to a kitchen. Granite is offered inside of a variety of vibrant hues and wealthy textures and its strength and sturdiness is unmatched by any other surface encounters all natural stone or artificial countertop substance.”

Surface Encounters’ potential customers benefit from professional service plus a friendly, useful employees to guide them through the kitchen remodeling course of action. Several of Surface Encounters new clientele are referred to them by former consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment